Monday, January 02, 2023

Best Poems of 2022

Sherwin Bitsui   …..   “Coyote howls canyons into windows …”

Sherwin Bitsui   …..   “The vowels of the starved”


Yosu Buson   …..   three haiku


Kaga no Chiyo (Chiyo-ni)   …..   three haiku


Lydia Davis   …..   Bloomington


Kobayashi Issa   …..   five haiku


Kajetan Kovic   …..   Black Prayer


Jeanne Lupton   …..   four tanka


Jeanne Lupton   …..   four tanka from Numbered Breaths


Jeanne Lupton   …..   three more tanka


Michael Martin   …..   My  Bobcat Skid-Steer Loader Is My Therapy


Meeraji   …..   Call of the Sea


Brane Mozetic   …..   “I fell into a depressing reverie …”


Sheila E. Murphy   …..   “Least amount of air along the walk”


Sheila E. Murphy   …..   “I’m writing this to fathom pleasure”


Milorad Pavic   …..   Seventh Song from Holy Mass for Relja Krilatica


Susan Polizotto   …..   haiku: “She isn’t seeking”


Sandi Pray   …..   haiku: “River clean-up”


Hattori Ransetsu   …..   haiku: “one blossom of plum”


Minal Sarosh   …..   haiku: “Frying kebabs”


Antoinette Scudder   …..   Tea Making


Senryu by anonymous poets   …..   eight sentry


Kelly Shaw   …..   haiku: “Trickling roof leak”


Shiki   …..   three haiku


Masaoka Shiki   ….. haiku: “poppies bloom”


Kim Shuck   …..   The Overseers of Complexity


Dubravko Skurla   …..   Two Shores


Milivoj Slavicek   …..   Once More We Talked a Long Time I and the River


Clark Strand   …..   haiku: “The bathtub spider”


Dietmer Tauchner   …..   haiku: “thaw”


Peter Tchouhov   …..   haiku: “candlelit church”


Paul Violi   …..   Melodrama


Yokoi Yayu   …..   two haiku



*****


I started my own personal anthology of other people’s poems back in 1989. I wanted a source of poems I really loved. When I come across a poem that strikes me just right I tuck a placemark in next to it. I go back to that poem and reread it and reread it. Usually I’ve read a poem five or more times before I decide I can’t leave it behind and have to go to the hassle of copying it out by hand. 


On the first day of the year I read aloud all the poems I collected in the previous year. Yes, I read them aloud to myself. 


If you are curious about previous years, follow the “Best Poems of the Year” link. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Considering GI's talent for reading and writing and editing poetry, this is real grand, making the list. M.Martin

Glenn Ingersoll said...

I had a poet friend say to me (half-seriously, he claimed) that his ambition was to make my list. He actually came close a few years ago. There was a poem about standing at a pasture fence and reading poems to cows that I liked a lot. Ultimately I chose not to copy it out -- as is the case with most poems I mark for rereading.

We wonder if anybody reads us ...