Thursday, December 23, 2021

Duran Duran fan

John Taylor, bassist for Duran Duran, achieved all his dreams — and, what do you know, they didn’t make him happy. Or they did, at first, but, whew, there’s just no way you can be prepared for the kind of overwhelming fame that hit Duran Duran. I think there were some Durannies at my small town high school in California. I don’t remember much about them. There were kids who dressed “new wave,” but were they Durannies? I think The Cure had more cred. 

John Taylor talks about one fan who really wanted something from her idol:


The fans would do some pretty crazy things over the years but my favorite has to be the girl in Atlanta who was present at a press conference we gave on the reunion tour. I had a cold and was sniffling into a series of tissues, absentmindedly throwing them into a wastepaper bin under the table.


Next time into the city, the girl called out to me at another public appearance, ‘I was the girl who got your cold.’


I wondered what on earth she was talking about.


‘After you left the press conference last year I stole your used tissues. I wanted to get your cold.’


John Taylor’s calling this“crazy thing” a fan did his “favorite” is an odd choice of words, but it probably stands out in terms of commitment. 


source:

In the Pleasure Groove: love, death & Duran Duran

by John Taylor with Tom Sykes

2012. Dutton / Penguin, NY

No comments: