Friday, September 03, 2021

word of the day: rhubarb

word of the day: rhubarb

first context Peanuts

In an April 1963 Sunday strip Lucy is on the pitcher’s mound. She calls over Snoopy to have him slobber on the baseball. When thrown, the ball loops and swirls before passing over home plate into the catcher’s mitt, Charlie Brown swinging at it fruitlessly. Charlie Brown lectures Lucy on the rule that prohibits such a pitch: “Right here on page thirty-one, section three, rule 6.12!” Pleased with himself nevertheless Snoopy sits by thinking to himself, “I love a good rhubarb.”


second context Dykes to Watch Out For:

In a 2/20/08 strip Mo and Lois run into each other at the grocery store, and do a little catching up. Lois, always ready to bed the latest hot babe, is surprised and a little disturbed to note that she’s been an exclusive relationship for three years. One of her housemates (not her girlfriend) is insisting on stocking the larder as a locavore. Mo looks into the grocery cart full of commercially produced food packages. “Clarice [a different housemate] told me you were only eating local food.” Lois: “That’s just at my place. When I want to escape the rhubarb wine, I go to [the house of Jasmine, the girlfriend].” Being as it’s 2008 and the Democratic Party is in the midst of the contentious primary between Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, Jasmine and daughter Janis start arguing over which candidates each prefers. Lois turns to Mo, “And when I want to escape the political rhubarb, I go back home!”


definition (Merriam-Webster): a heated dispute or controversy


I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone use “rhubarb” this way in conversation. I remember reading the Peanuts strip as a kid and being puzzled by the word. I wouldn’t be surprised if Alison Bechdel also picked up “rhubarb” from Peanuts, but who knows? Maybe back east it’s common usage. 


sources:

The Complete Poems, vol. 7: 1963-1964

by Charles Schulz

2017. Fantagraphics Books, Seattle WA


The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For

by Alison Bechdel

2008. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, New York

No comments: