Monday, January 25, 2021

word of the day: jeu d’esprit

word of the day: jeu d’esprit

Miss Bianca has returned from what turned out to be a rather boring vacation for her in the mountains. She couldn’t play in the snow with the Boy, who is her special human friend, so she’s mostly been restricted to staring out windows. Upon her return to the Embassy she learns that Bernard has gone off on a rescuing mission without her. Miss Bianca is the prime mover of the Mouse Prisoners’ Aid Society so she is worried. She knows Bernard is capable, yet … 


So when he shows up at the end of his own adventure, Miss Bianca is much relieved. 


“[H]ow tired you must be …, my dear, dear Bernard!”


"Just a bit whacked," admitted Bernard. "Did you miss me at all, Miss Bianca, while you were away at that mountain resort?"


"Did I miss you!" exclaimed Miss Bianca. "You were hardly absent from my thoughts! I even wrote a poem about you!"


"Really?" cried Bernard. "Really and truly? Oh Miss Bianca, won’t you repeat it to me?"


"’Twas but a jeu d’esprit which I’ve almost forgotten," said Miss Bianca.


"Can’t you remember even a line or two of it?" pressed Bernard.


"Well, the last two," said Miss Bianca, "were O Bernard are you all right / Out of my sight?"


Bernard drew a deep, happy breath.


Ah, to be immortalized in a poem by the beloved! Now, if only she would love him. 


definition (Collins): a clever, witty turn of phrase, piece of writing, etc.


source:

Bernard the Brave

by Margery Sharp

illustrated by Leslie Morrill

1977. Little, Brown & Co., Boston

No comments: