Friday, September 25, 2020

second choice

The music magazine Mojo has a regular column in which they ask a few musicians the same set of questions. In the May 2020 issue I was amused by the dovetailing of the answers by Yola and John Grant to this question:

What was the first record you ever bought?


Yola: I wanted to buy Push It by Salt-N-Pepa, but my mother thought it was too dirty for me. Instead I had to get Ice Ice Baby by fricking Vanilla Ice! It didn’t take very long for that record to never be played again.


John Grant: It was probably Abba Greatest Hits or their self-titled one. I probably got it at K-Mart. I wanted to get Elton John’s Captain Fantastic, but we couldn’t have that filth in the house. I gave that record a good stare every time we went to that store. 


source: Mojo

May 2020, issue 318

No comments: