Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Title to Indian land, part two

I am looking at the spring 2020 statement describing the income on Indian land in which I inherited an interest. In Title to Indian land, part one I said at a glance the statements seem to add up to less than the postage on the envelope. 

Does a closer look bear that out? The spring 2020 statement has codes on it that I don’t understand (they probably just identify the tracts), but the accounting looks pretty simple. Let’s review the numbers in the CASH column. 

Nine transactions are listed. The first is CASH 0.10 … the second 0.01 … 

0.07

0.11

0.10

0.02

0.02

0.10

1.00

Out of that I could buy two Forever stamps. 

The largest numbers are cumulative. A beginning balance is listed as 44.39, an ending balance as 45.92. I don’t know how long that $45 has taken to accrue. Years? 

I’ve never seen a penny. Do they pay out when the accrual reaches a certain level? $50? $100? 

The money is meaningless. Clearly. If there is meaning in this ownership share it is as evidence of heritage. Which I like. 

No comments: