Wednesday, April 23, 2008

all the suffering in the universe

Amory Lovins, author of Winning the Oil Endgame which prophesies various ways we will escape dependence on Big Oil, is an optimist.

”Sometimes after I give a talk, some folks get irked that I talk only about solutions and not about problems,” [Lovins told The New Yorker] “And typically someone will get up and give a long riff about all the bad things happening and all the suffering in the universe, which is basically true.”

How does Lovins respond?

He asks, How’s that workin’ for you? “As gently as [he] can [he asks] whether feeling that way makes them more effective.”

What, dwelling on the suffering of the world doesn’t goose you toward solutions? Everybody tells me how much better I’ll feel when I consider how much worse off others are.

source: The New Yorker, January 22, 2007

No comments: