Saturday, March 26, 2005

Waving the Stick Around

I watched the Stick as it was handed around the poetry blogs. I’m not one of the popular kids so I wasn’t surprised when it didn’t pass to me. Only it did. Ginger waved it in my direction. I can’t say as I care much for the questions, nor do I care a fig for chain letters or forwarding clever stuff to all my friends, but the Stick is about what you’re reading and so is Dare I Read? so wtf. (By the way technorati shows 305 blogs have answered the questions so far. Maybe more by the time I post.)

the Stick: You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

dir: Goodnight, Moon

the Stick: Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

dir: I kept thinking I hadn’t but then I realized I have a big crush right now on Jaeger Ayers, the hero of Carla Speed McNeil’s comic series Finder. He is so dreamy. Then there was Kurt Severing of Jason Lutes’ Berlin. I was so disappointed he was straight!

the Stick: The last book you bought is:

dir: Diary of a Mosquito Abatement Man by John Porcellino

the Stick: The last book you read:

dir: Rio de Janeiro: Carnival Under Fire by Ruy Castro

the Stick: What are you currently reading?

dir: Diary of a Mosquito Abatement Man by John Porcellino, Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson, The Random House Book of Twentieth-Century French Poetry edited by Paul Auster, Pulling Taffy by Matt Bernstein Sycamore, and Finder: Sin-Eater, volume 2 by Carla Speed McNeil.

the Stick: Five books you would take to a deserted island:

dir: One wonders whether one is marooned, thus these five would be the only books one will ever have resort to, or whether it’s just a nice island where there’s nothing to do but read.

If the former I’d start with a book of matches.

If the latter I’d start with Proust, include a fat Dickens, bring along Rothenberg’s 2-volume Poems for the Millennium (I’m currently halfway through volume one), choose an Oz book I’ve only read once (Handy Mandy in Oz maybe), and finish up with a good book on the constellations so I can stargaze less obliviously.

the Stick: Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons)? And Why?

dir:
Skook, because he reads a lot, too
CDPlayer, because she needs to blog more and here’s an excuse
Taze Files, I don’t know him but I like the way he writes about books