Friday, January 02, 2015

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, part II

from the booklog (1/89):

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon

Scott Lipanovich tried to read this book but gave up after page forty or so, thought it too episodic. I’d read in reviews that the main character is bisexual and by the fortieth page he hadn’t done anything so I kept going. And the book hadn’t hooked me up to that point either. Ten or twenty pages later I was reluctant to put it down. The first part of the book the author seems too caught up in his nice prose style to be compelling, later he did the reverse. I wasn’t as enchanted by the supporting character, Cleveland, as everyone in the book seemed to be, so when he went to his doom I didn’t much care. The Art & Arthur & Phlox triangle was interesting and the book was a good page turner.

*

So much for my assertion in the earlier Mysteries of Pittsburgh post that Scott was the one who recommended the book to me. I learned of it through reviews, probably in the gay press.

No comments: