Tuesday, April 07, 2009

dab-smack

I've started reading Barack Obama's memoir, Dream from My Father. The writing is good to fine, upon occasion suspiciously wise for a young man.

Not that this post is going to be about the substance of Obama's book. Instead, I want to note something else. An odd transposing of words. Talking about his grandparents growing up in Kansas. Obama says they lived "dab-smack" in the middle of the country. A few pages later he refers to the jaunty way his grandfather wore his hat -- "brim hat" folded back.

Dab-smack? Brim hat?

I had to look an extra moment at these before they resolved themselves into forms more familiar: smack-dab, hat brim

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I just started reading it, too. And also had problems with the word "dab-smack".
It is colloquial and means "directly".

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I had problems too. Now got it.