Sunday, June 08, 2008

you gotta have hope

More and more over the years I’ve come to recognize that “hope” is another one of those words that actually means a buncha things, maybe some not quite compatible. When I was struggling, miserable and feeling trapped, I kept hoping things would somehow get better. My hopes would stand in the square and everybody would give them space, a lot of space, as though my poor little hopes standing out there pressed together for comfort, were at best embarrassing, at worst a bit revolting. Unmet, they would stand there till the evening gathered and brought the indifferent darkness. I grew to loathe them myself.

Finally, desperately, I rejected them. A relief! Truly. A relief. My hopes had taken so much energy. It was better not to have any. Just do whatever, what needed to be done now. Hungry? Eat until the emptiness doesn’t hurt. Don’t feel like getting out of bed? Lie there.

“One of the toughest steps a survivor has to take is to discard the hope of rescue … There is no other way for his brain to settle down.”

That’s a quote from Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by Laurence Gonzalez.

He continues: “Dougal Robertson, who was cast away at sea for thirty-eight days, advised thinking of it this way: ‘Rescue will come as a welcome interruption of … the suvival voyage.’” [ellipsis in orig.]

I generalize from “hope of rescue” to “hope of change” or “hope of something better.”

For some time I kept a button affixed to my backpack that said, “I feel so much better since I have given up hope.” But I tired of it catching on things. So I took it off.

Lately I’ve been wondering if there might be a sweeter form of hope, a non-virulent strain. Perhaps if mild enough it might be good for you, like an inoculation. Or might be a stimulant, like strychnine.

4 comments:

David Lee Ingersoll said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Lee Ingersoll said...

It seems like there's a form of hope that comes without expectation. It's the sort of hope that says, "Things change. Change is inevitable. Perhaps one of those changes will provide an opportunity that's not now available."

That's the hope that carries me when life sucks. I forget about the future except as a possibility and concentrate on doing what's next.

Jannie Funster said...

Maybe read The Diving Bell & The Butterfly or see the movie again and you'll feel pretty glad of what you do have today? And by "you" I mean all of us, generally.

It works for me.

--Jannie

Glenn Ingersoll said...

David, that sounds like a healthy form of hope.

Jannie, I haven't seen Diving Bell but you're not the first I've heard say good things about it.