Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Bronte as EC

I’m reading Emily Bronte’s Wuthering Heights. Not long ago I read a version of Wuthering Heights in the comic arts anthology Drawn and Quarterly, volume 5. At the time I remember thinking, as I was planning to read the novel, perhaps I ought to skip the comics adaption. I didn’t.

The writer-artist R. Sikoryak renames the story, “The Crypt of Bronte”, and presents it as an EC comic. EC’s most famous title is probably Tales from the Crypt; it was the inspiration for an HBO series. You’ve had the experience, haven’t you, of only half-remembering a story when seeing an adaptation of it but nevertheless recognizing scenes or plot turns just as they come up? So it is with Wuthering Heights. I don’t remember how the Sikoryak comics adaptation turned out but, now & then, as I read Bronte’s original, drawings from the comics version swim up from the darkness to illustrate a scene.

2 comments:

David Lee Ingersoll said...

Hmmm. Haven't read Wuthering Heights yet. Haven't even seen a movie version. That's the trouble with knowing (or thinking I know) how a story ends. It's harder to muster the enthusiasm to start reading. (That and having so many other choices of reading material.)

Glenn Ingersoll said...

There are plenty of things to read.