Sunday, July 01, 2007

what’s new

Friday I don’t start work until two. I had a 15% coupon for Half Price Books and I thought I’d swing by there on the way. Get lunch downtown. Half Price had a batch of 2006 guidebooks including ones for Disney World in Florida. I’ve been contemplating a trip in December, which is supposed to be the quietest time of year (though, it seems, there is no time of year when you are not assured of lines on the big rides). It’s a childhood dream thing. I also want to drive over to the so-called Space Coast and visit the NASA launch sites, maybe even “have lunch with an astronaut.”

I also stopped by Comic Relief. After flipping through new stuff I checked out the small press shelves and decided on the newest issue of Fuff, a comic created & published by Jeffrey Lewis. It’s a mix of autobiographical and fantastic stories. Lewis likes words and crowds the panels with them. At Jeffrey Lewis’ website I followed a link to a video for "Williamsburg Will Oldham Horror", a song (& video) that shortly had my jaw dropping – likes words? this boy challenges that old FedEx spokesman for spilling. The lyrics are witty, yearning, ironic, and dare you to pay attention. I enjoyed Fuff and will get what earlier issues Comic Relief has on the shelf, but I’m also going to look around for Lewis’ music.

5 comments:

hank said...

There's an extra value to that video and its hipster references in that the L train seriously goes nowhere except hipster-ville and Manhattan. Useless unless you live in Williamsburg and want to get to, well, Williamsburg. Or the east village. Or greenwich village.

Glenn Ingersoll said...

Thanks for the L train geography lesson. No surprise to me I didn't get everything.

When I first watched it I had no idea who Will Oldham was. Now that I've read up on him, I can connect him to that Bonnie 'Prince' Billy song on my iPod.

hank said...

I had no idea, either, except that I happen to be in Brooklyn right now. I've also since realized that California's opinion of itself may be slightly exaggerated...

Glenn Ingersoll said...

California's opinion of itself is slightly exaggerated? Would put it in good company. With New York.

Or the whole of the United States, for that matter.

I've never been to New York (other than changing planes at JFK ... or a zillion movies, books & comics), otherwise I'd suggest you drop in on Somebody or be sure to buy a pastry at Somewhere. Have a great visit!

hank said...

I actually met Somebody Somewhere for lunch. I think what annoys me with California, or LA more specifically, is the lingering traces of manifest destiny rhetoric in which people still imagine that the west coast is the potential fulfillment of any immigrant's dreams. New York seems to be shrugging and saying, "holy shit, we have too many people here." the hipster element, however, is completely out of control, along with the rent prices and admission to the museums... $20 to go to the moma? That's some bs.

still, i'd recommend a visit some time. there's a thunderstorm going on outside right now, and it's very beautiful.