Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Teen Titans

from the diary: “Thursday October 10, 1985

“Bot comics, stopped collecting Teen Titans.”

Teen Titans was sort of DC’s version of Marvel’s X-Men, well-written and featuring an artist that could really draw. I stopped collecting the comic a few issues after artist George Perez left the Titans.

They keep making and remaking Batman and Superman movies and TV shows but they seldom mine the rest of the DC universe. Of course it was long the case that the only media versions of Marvel superheroes were in videogames and TV cartoon shows. The rights to the Marvel characters were tied up in all sorts of legal knots that only fairly recently got loosed.

2 comments:

David Lee Ingersoll said...

Have you seen the new Justice League cartoons? I hear they're doing quite a bit of DC universe mining. I saw the first few episodes just before we gave up cable and they were pretty good. As a kid I'd have probably thought they were brilliant - except for those weird minimalist character designs. Not at all like the god, George Perez.

Was I really as nitpicky as I remember being?

Glenn Ingersoll said...

I haven't seen any new superhero cartoons. We don't have cable either.

As to how nitpicky you were, I can't judge. Worse than me? Or more forgiving?