Friday, April 15, 2005

What I’m Reading Now

Let’s take a break from high school twenty years ago. It’s been awhile since I posted a list of what I’m reading now and the last time I did that I posted it over on my LoveSettlement blog. This is what I’ve got going:

Poems for the Millennium, vol 1: From Fin-de-Siecle to Negritude an anthology edited by Jerome Rothenberg and Pierre Joris

Red Mars a science fiction novel by Kim Stanley Robinson

Pulling Taffy a collection of short (autobiographical?) fiction by Matt Bernstein Sycamore

The Diaries of Franz Kafka, 1910-1913

Finder: Sin-Eater, vol 2 a graphic novel by Carla Speed McNeil

Akiko, vol 4: The Story Tree a graphic novel by Mark Crilley

The Random House Book of Twentieth-Century French Poetry edited by Paul Auster

There are probably a couple other books that I’m in the middle of. But I haven’t picked them up in awhile so they are not in the pile. Oh yeah. There’s the one I’m reading during my lunch breaks at work: A History of the Devil by Gerald Messadie

Reading several books at once means (unless you’re a much faster reader than I) it takes rather a long time to finish one. Unless it’s a shorty like the Akiko book which I probably could have gotten through in one sitting – except I started reading it late last night and needed shut eye more than I needed to finish.

I’m enjoying the Kafka diary. I have to say I’m enjoying it more than any of his completed fiction. Some of the diary is fiction, drafts of stories. I like both the poetry anthologies but they are fat so I expect to be at them for some time.

No comments: